“We propose a complementary agenda to reduce premature mortality from all NCDs and injuries (including neuropsychiatric disorders) by 80% in individuals younger than 40 years by the year 2020.”
“80 under 40 by 2020: an equity agenda for NCDs and injuries” is a commentary published in The Lancet in 2014, written by Hon. Min. Agnes Binagwaho and Dr. Marie Aimee Muhimpindu of the Rwandan Ministry of Health and Dr. Gene Bukhman for the NCD Synergies group. The 80x40x20 paper was written as an outcome of the NCD Synergies conference held in Kigali, Rwanda in July 2013. The conference hosted by the Rwandan Ministry of Health and attended by representatives from 18 countries, including policy makers from 13 African health ministries.
In the advocacy piece, the authors call for an expanded international agenda on noncommunicable diseases and injuries, focusing particularly on the very poorest populations and individuals younger than 40.
Endorsement of the 80 x 40 x 20 paper
The 80 x 40 x 20 paper, published in The Lancet in January 2014, was endorsed by numerous attendees of the 2013 Kigali Conference and other affiliated partners.
- Rwanda Ministry of Health and affiliated institutions: Anita Asiimwe, Charlotte Bavuma, Jeanine Condo, Symaque Dusabeyezu, Theophile Dushime, Marc Herant, Jean Baptiste Kakoma, Corine Karema, Yvonne Kayiteshonga, Leonard Kayonde, Patrick Kyamanywa, Andrew Makaka, Jean-Baptiste Mazarati, Joseph Mucumbitsi, Cathy Mugeni, Pacifique Mugenzi, Placidie Mugwaneza, Jean-Louis Mukunzi, Emmanuel Musabeyezu, Francis Mutabazi, Cadet Mutumbira, Eliazar Ndabarora, Uzziel Ndagijimana, Fidele Ngabo, Jean de Dieu Ngirabega, Sabin Nsanzimana, Fabien Ntaganda, Evariste Ntaganda, Christian Ntizimira, Jean Pierre Nyemazi, Eric Remera, Emmanual Rusingiza, Joseph Shema, Erneste Simpunga, and Parfait Uwaliraye
- Botswana Ministry of Health: Heluf G. Medhin
- Burundi Ministry of Health: Jeanine Ayinkamiye
- Lesotho Ministry of Health: Molotsi Monyamane, Kabelo Mputsoe
- Liberia Ministry of Health and Social Welfare: K. Karsor Kollie
- Madagascar Ministry of Health: Henri Fidele Marie Raharivohitra
- Malawi Ministry of Health: Beatrice Mwagomba, Michael Mphatso Udedi
- Mozambique Ministry of Health: Jorge Zacarias Jone, Ana Olga Mocumbi
- Tanzania Ministry of Health and Social Welfare: Ayoub Rmadhani Magimba, Norman Sabuni
- Uganda Ministry of Health: Gerald Mutungi
- Partners In Health & Global Health Delivery Partnership: Donna Barry, Sophie Beauvais, Anne Becker, Corrado Cancedda, Sheila Davis, Peter Drobac, Paul Farmer, Anjuli Gupta, Ken Himmelman, Alice Kidder, Gene Kwan, Alishya Mayfield, Melino Ndayizigiye, Gedeon Ngoga, David Omotayo, Atupere Phiri, Giuseppe Raviola, Rajesh Panjabi, Celia Reddick, Joseph Rhatigan, Aaron Shakow, Lawrence N. Shulman, Sara Stulac, Neo Tapela, Claire Wagner, and Emily Wroe
- Other implementing and academic partners: Kate Armstrong, Ceeya Patton-Bolman, Yogesh Jain, Injonge Karangwa, Constance Kekihembo, Sandy Gove, Claudine Humure, Margaret E. Kruk, Bongani Mayosi, Rachel Nugent, Cameron Nutt, Elijah Ogola, Vikram Patel, Srinath Reddy, and Theo Vos